Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Road

Stardate 02-21-07


Katie, of Katie's Cafe, gave me The Road by Cormac McCarthy for Christmas this year. Ian alwyas seems to be going off about Cormac McCarthy and how great he is. I've decided that if Cormac is good enough for Ian and Matt Damon, then he's good enough for me.

The Road is a post apocalyptic tale about a father and his son and their journey to the South. The scene that McCarthy paints is a chilling wasteland of death and decay. The world has been destroyed and polluted and seems to be in a state of perpetual winter. Everything is black; either scorched or covered in black ash and nothing lives except for the few remaining humans who roam the earth, scavenging for food, supplies, or anything that will keep them alive.

I really loved this book. It is both beautiful and terrifying. The little boy and his Papa share a very tender relationship. I've never found myself so concerned for characters in a book before. But I must warn, that this book is not for the light of heart. Father and son are put through some shocking and awful ordeals that are both violent and disgusting. There are parts that will leave you sick to your stomach.

I've decided that the reason that this book is so freaky is not only because of what McCarthy says but also because of what he doesn't say. We never find out the characters names, the time frame for when these events are taking place, or where they are. It gives the reader nothing to hold on to or to orient themselves to. You find yourself almost as lost as the young boy and his Papa. For me, the best example of this, and the one that freaked me out the most, was not knowing why the little boy and his Papa were so afraid to meet other people while traveling on the road.
To find out, you'll have to go down The Road yourself.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I did not read this book, I like the less is more idea. In one of my photo classes a girl did her final project on an abandoned railroad car that a homeless family was living in. What remained was eeire: baby dolls, broken dishes, childrens artwork. I think our minds are able to create a individualized story perfect for you. Sounds like a creepy book, I am just glad that is was something you enjoyed, and that didn't have any dragons in it. Good Review!

Spencer Davis said...

Allison-
How do you know it wasn't dragons that scorched the earth?

Ian said...

I'm glad you liked it. McCarthy is a master of minimalism. And his writing has grown more and more spare with each book. For everything that he says, there is 3 or 4 times as much stuff going on beneath the surface.

Katie said...

This is katie. Excellent review Spencer. I especially liked the last line. It was Ian's idea to give it to you. It sounds like quite a departure from McCarthy's Western novels. I'm glad you liked it!

Chantalle said...

great review! even though i am not a big mccarthy fan (i would consider him a "dude-writer",and to be fair and to help explain my bias, on my site you will find plently of "chick-lit") i am intrigued by this book. i will check it out.

xoxo
c

Anonymous said...

Chantalle, I am also a huge fan of "chic-lit." One of my earliest posts was a review I did on a Margarett Atwood book. Go to my October 2006 archive if you want to check it out.

3703 said...

Dude-lit is cool. Chick lit not so cool. Chanty, make sure you read all comments associated with that blog, then you will find out who is really behind Darth Spencer's mask.

I can't wait for this book to come out on video. McCulley Caulkin should play the little kid, and maybe Vin Diesel or Ralph Phiennes could play the father. EErie.

Spencer Davis said...

Rumbler-
It would have to be Vin Diesel. Think of the advantages he would have in a world that has become Pitch Black because he has silver eyes and can see in the dark.

Chantalle said...

rumbler: thanks for the heads up ;)

darth spencer: unmasked! lol. i will simply say i am glad that you have visited my post regarding international women's day; it is a start to your education in the feminine.
just furthering the cause of the "ministry of truth"