Monday, May 14, 2007

Heroes

Stardate 05-14-2007

I keep going back and forth, trying to decide which is my favorite drama on TV: Heroes, Battlestar Galactica or Lost. All three are amazing and in my opinion, there isn't another drama out there that even comes close. I don't know why people waste their time watching garbage like CSI, CSI New York, CSI Las Vegas, CSI Miami, or SVU (I can sort of understand why people watch SVU--who doesn't love Ice-T?) etc.

Anyway, I've been really excited and getting into Heroes as of late. They are leading up to the end of Volume (season) 1 and things are lookin hot!!! The following are a list of observations and things that I've read about the show. First my observations and questions.

1. If Peter has absorbed Claire's power to heal, why does he have a scar on his face in the episode that jumps five years into the future? I believe that there is sometihng significant about the scar. I believe this because 10 or so episodes before the future episode, when future Hiro stops time in the subway to tell him to save the cheerleader, the first thing that he says to Peter is, "You look different without your scar." Any ideas as to the significance of the scar?

2. The little girl Molly will be very important in the next episodes. We actually met Molly the second episode of the season. She is the little girl that Parkman finds when he first discovers that he can hear other's thoughts. Linderman's company now has Molly in their care, but she is suffering from some sort of disease. They have enlisted the help of Mohinder in order to cure her. It appears that there is a disease that affects young girls who are developing their special powers. I believe that this disease that she has may be a future story line. Mohinder's little sister had special abilities and suffered and died from this disease. Molly, a special young girl also is suffering from the disease, but hopefully from the help of Mohinder, will not die. There was also an episode where Claire's mother told her that they had tried once before to find Claire's real parents. They did this because she was suffering from an unknown disease and wanted to find out about her family history. My guess is that because of her powers, Claire was able to heal on her own. What do you think?

3. When Nathan Patrelli meets Linderman, Linderman reveals to Nathan that he also has special powers. He tells Nathan that when he first found out about what he could do, himself and others with powers got together to form a group that would help those who needed it. He then says that the others in this group ruined things because of their desire to use their powers for personal gain and they broke up, though to me, it seems as if this is exactly what Linderman has done. In the future I hope to learn the back stories of these people and to find out where they are now. Are they the future evil ones that the Heroes will fight against? Or will they join them in their attempts to bring down Linderman?

The following comes from what I have read:

1. From an interview with Sulu- In the season finale, Hiro will travel back in time to learn how to use his sword. (On a few occasions, Hiro has told Ando about the history of the sword and who wielded it. It is Darth Spencer's belief that we may see that this is an ancestor of Hiro or possibly even his father. Perhaps Sulu has a similar ability to travel through time and space and it is he, who is the Bushido sword master)

2. From an interview with Tim Kring, creator of the show- Season 1 will end with a clear idea of what is in store for season 2. Season 2 will deal with the history of what is happening. The older characters, Sulu, Mother Patrelli, Linderman, will play a larger role in helping us to understand how these special powers are passed from person to person.

3. From an article in Newsweek- Season two will include a spin-off series. There will be 8 filler episodes that have nothing to do with the main Heroes storyline. These episodes will introduce new heroes and give a back story on them and their abilities. At the end of the season, the audience will be able to vote for one of these people to become a regular cast member. These episodes will appear during weeks when the show would usually be on a break. This way we get a maximum amount of Heroes. Pretty creative. Though it won't progress the story, I'd rather see this than another episode of Deal or No Deal.

4. Each week, a couple of small comics come out on NBC.com that give back story and filler between the TV episodes. I've finished them all and recommend them for those who really like Heroes. Some are great, some are pointless. The coolest thing that I found out is that Linderman served on a special ops mission during the Vietnam war with Nathan and Peter Patrelli's father. The father does not have special powers, but was actually healed by Linderman after being shot in the gut. Upon return to the States, Patrelli tries desperately to tell others in the army about Linderman's powers. Linderman denies everything and tells them that Patrelli is mad. This puts a serious scar on Patrelli for the rest of his life. Years later, Patrelli is married and has a little boy. He is contacted by Linderman and Linderman begs his forgiveness for not telling the truth. The comic ends with what looks to be the start of Linderman starting his company.

What do you think is the best drama on TV?
What ideas do you have about Heroes?
What do you think or hope is in store for season 2?

9 comments:

Ian said...

I finished catching up on the Heroes episodes last night on nbc.com, and I am really excited for the season finale. I think Heroes is the best show on TV right now (I've lost a little interest in Lost, even though I hear that its gotten better over the last few episodes; and I don't have cable, so I can't watch Battlestar Galactica). Heroes has great characters with interesting stories. I like how all the different storylines interconnet. Syler is a great villain, and there's a lot of good conflict (between the characters and within the characters themselves). And I love the whole destiny/changing the future/time-space intrigue.

Anonymous said...

It looks to me like Darth Spencer has too much time at work to search the internet?

Darth Scott

Spencer Davis said...

Darth Scott-
Maybe I have special powers like Hiro and I can stop time. Maybe I havn't really missed any work at all?

Katie said...

Spence, I'm sorry I haven't seen hereos to be able to comment. You do have some interesting thoughts and questions. I hope they get resolved for you.

I'm afraid I don't watch tv much at all these days. My favorite show used to be West Wing. I guess I mainly watched that when your Dad tivoed it for me or when I was pregnant and sick I watched the DVD's. I'm sad it went off the air.

Spencer Davis said...

I'm thinking about getting West Wing from my online web rental server (the name of which I will not add; for I will not subject my literally thousands of readers to free advertsing).

Its come highly recommended from both you and my dad.

cblakes said...

I really want to comment on this too, but haven't kept up on heroes :(

3703 said...

I will comment because I have a deep love for comics and real life heroes.

Personally, I think the show could use more capes, masks and estretchy pants, but it makes up for it in violence and entrigue.

Heroes is great because it has shown a generation of "mutants" fromt the ground up. I like seeing the "heroes" world from their perspective. Up until now I have totally forgotten that they never show things from a "muggle" perspective. Like in X-Men the world see's the mutants as a threat, but Heroes has not shown that the majority of the normals have recognized these people with super powers. Do you think they will explore this avenue? I hope not, I like it just the way they've done it.

Spencer Davis said...

Rumbler-
You make a good point. In the episode that jumps five years into the future, we find that muggles see the Heroes as terrorists. This started because it was a Hero who let the nuclear bomb go off in New York.

Those who have seen the finaly read on, those who have not, look away now. SPOILER ALERT

We now know that the bomb did not go off in New York and that the focus of season 2 will be the past and how these powers were originated.

I agree with you. I hope that they don't explore this story line. It would be too much like X-Men at that point.

It seems to me that this may have been a possilbe story line based on what we learned about Lindermans group, which was not much. It seems that they "bagged and gagged" the Heroes in an attemt to determine how powerful they were. Those who were too powerful were killed. Those who had powers that could one day bennefit Linderman or could not cause too much damage were let go.

3703 said...

I am lucky Linderman has not found me, because my death would be a loss to the world