Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A Fond Farewell to the Canadian Crippler

Stardate 06-26-2007

Captains Log:

If there was a sport that captured the essence of Science Fiction, I would have to say that that sport was Pro Wrestling. My earliest memory of wrestling is sitting on a blue couch with Ian and my Dad, watching Andre the Giant fight Hulk Hogan. I'm glad that my dad let me watch wrestling and I plan to pass on this torch to my children.

Pro Wrestling lost a legend this week and though I haven't followed wrestling in a while, I was sad to see him gone. Chris Benoit aka The Canadian Crippler hung himself after he murdered his wife and seven year old son. Steroids were found on the scene and though autopsy results won't be available for weeks, many are pointing their fingers to "Roid Rage."

Though these events are extremely tragic, I would like to focus on the Chris that I remember. In my opinion, the high light of The Crippler's career was being asked by Ric Flair and Arn Andersen to join the 4 Horsemen.

Just before the computer melt down of Y2K, me, Juddy, Nate, Clay, and Christopher went to WCW at the ECenter. We were privileged to see such athletes as Bret "The Hitman" Hart, Mr. Perfect, Ric Flair, Mean Gean Okerlund, Chris Jerico, Ray Mysterio Jr., Rick Stiener, Bam Bam Bigalo, and Goldberg. We were also graced with the presence of The Crippler. He was featured in a tag-team cage match against the NWO. The Rumbler captured the magic with his camera. Enjoy.


The Crippler getting ready for some serious cage action.

The Crippler laid a serious suplex on his opponent, leaving him immobilized. This opened the door for Chris to climb to the top of the cage.

I remember seeing him at least 20' up in the air and wondering what he was going to do next.

The next thing I knew, he was flying. The Crippler sprawled out completely and as he landed flat on his belly, his head landed right in the mid-section of his opponent. The final crushing blow was enough...

For Victory.

Follow this LINK to see pictures of Pro Wrestlers who have died. Its crazy to see how many have died from heart attacks (steroids) or cocaine or other drug OD.

After looking at the link, Mr. Rumble and I would like you to do the following:
1) Share any memory or story that you have of the greats who have fallen
2) Create your own list of 5-10 Pro Wrestlers that you believe will die from steroids or other drug OD

6 comments:

cblakes said...

That is very sad.

People in Toronto rave about Bret the Hit Man (who I think is an Alberta native...), but sadly I never heard of the Canadian Crippler 'till now.

That's great you saw some old schoolers like bam bam bigelow and Mr. Perfect!

What's the deal with wrestling today? Was it always as trashy as it seems lately? It seems to me that the golden age of wrestling was in the 80's. I blame Jim McMahon and the Undertaker.

Allison said...

we'll have to see about letting our children watch that trash, I am sure we'll take about it tonight while you are trying to "read."

3703 said...

1. Scott Steiner, aka Big Papa Pump
2. DDP, Diamond Dallas Page
a big name but not enough to stir congress
3. Hulk Hogan aka Hogan Knows Best aka Thunderlips

His death will shake wrestlings foundation and force congress to place a submission hold on the WWE. Not only will it force Vince M. to tap out, but it will give Hulk's daughter, Brooke, the necessary jumpstart for her music career.

I never liked the four horseman. I also never liked Rick Flair.

cblakes said...

Who do you think would win between Nature Boy Rick Flair and Mr. Perfect? That would be the pretty boy match up of all time.

Spencer Davis said...

Cblakes-
I think your are correct. I don't believet that wrestling will ever be as good as it once was. I think its because of the UFC. The real action that takes place in the UFC makes Pro Wrestling look pretty pathetic. I think Pro Wrestling has had to change and put more of an emphasis on the drama and stories of the wrestlers then on the action of the ring. Its too bad that they have such crappy writers and all they can think of is incorporating sex and adultry into the story lines. I miss the good ol days when Jake the Sanke put his boa in box and gave it to Hulk Hogan and Miss Elizibeth on their wedding day.

Rumbler- I think you are correct about Congress getting into the mix. If I were a writer for WWE I would find a congressmen who was willing to take action against WWE and make him into the ultimate bad guy of the WWE. Someone who hates wresting and its fans and wants to shut it down.

I can't believe you didn't like the 4 Horseman. They were such good bad guys.

Cblakes- I would take the Figure 4 Leg Lock over the Perfect Plex any day.

Ian said...

With fond memories of sitting on Grandma's blue couch watching the Junk Yard Dog head butt Hacksaw Jim Duggan, I too hoped to be able to watch wrestling with my kids. But I'm afraid Allison is right. Its completely changed since we were kids, and I don't think I would want my kids watching it. Maybe we can get old Wrestlemanias on DVD and watch them.