Thursday, July 12, 2007

Project: Cloverfield

Stardate 07-12-2007

Captain's Log:
Those who have been blessed enough to have seen Transformers caught a glimpse of a mysterious untitled monster movie. All you could really tell from the trailer was that it looked pretty cool and that it was produced by JJ Abrams.

Take a look if you haven't already seen it. The best is seeing the Statue of Liberty's head go flying by at the end.



I've looked into things a little bit and found that the project name and story line is top secret. Not even the studios behind it will give out any information. I've decided that not only is JJ Abrams a sci fi genious, he is also a marketing genious. Two offical web sites have already hit the interweb. One is called Ethan Haas Was Right and the other is Ethan Haas Was Wrong People are already going crazy about this stuff and its creating quite a buzz on the interweb. The movie is supposed to be out 1/18/08 which is about a half year away. It will be interesting to see if this type of marketing strategy will work better than the traditional approach. Both sites include puzzles that people are already working on and trying to figure out what they say or mean. Looks like most people think that they crazy writing is Sanscrit. Some of the more interesting things that I am guessing about from what has been said on these web sites is that Ethan Haas is some type of prophet who prophisied that a war between the Gods would take place for a brief time on earth.

8 comments:

Ian said...

That looks awesome. I wonder if the whole thing is going be shot documentary style like the preview. That would be awesome.

Also, I think it would be so cool to be able to go into a movie knowing almost nothing about it. That would make it even more intense. I hope they can keep the wraps on it. They'll probably do something similar to what the producers of The Prestige did and ask reviewers not to reveal anything about the plot. I would love to see a review that said, "The producers of the show asked us not to reveal anything about the plot of this movie, so all I'm going to say about it is that it is awesome." I hope the producers go a step further and encourage everyone who sees is to not say anything about it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

cblakes said...

Yeah, super cool. It reminded me of watching terrible tragedies like 9/11 through home video footage.

It shows that Abrams may have serious range - this seems pretty far flung from Felicity/Alias/Lost. And that makes me have even higher hopes for his new Star Trek Movie.

Lisa/Scott said...

I actually have seen this one in the theatre. Looks interesting, and like it will be entertaining. My wife is a huge j.j. Abrahms fan, she even watched Felicity which I can't stand. The only thing I've seen from him is Lost, but like I said, this one seems neat.

Spencer Davis said...

Scott-
did you ever see MI3? that was JJ Abrams. I'm in the same boat as you with Felicity.

I think that they will keep the wraps on this. Abrams seems to be all about secrecy. Hopefully it turns out to be someting interesting.

Lisa/Scott said...

Oh, yeah, I have seen that...I didn't know he did that one. That was actually the best one out of the three of them in my wife and I's opinion.

3703 said...

I love the idea of the Gods creating a 'battlefield earth'. I am excited by the mystery created but i can't help feeling as if I am back in between LOST episodes trying to figure out what the crap is going on. And it excites me because there are so many hints and clues, but at the same time I do not want to watch two hours only to be left with the same bewilderment.

Katie said...

Did Transformers used to be a cartoon when we were little? I think my brother used to watch it...

Spencer Davis said...

Katie-
Yes Transformers was an amazing and awesome cartoon before it became an awesome and amazing movie.

They came out with the cartoon in order to market the cool new toys that some toy company (i can't remember which) was trying to sell.