Monday, April 14, 2008

Neverwhere

Stardate 04-15-2008

I have a new love in my life and his name is Neil Gaiman. Gaiman is a pretty famous Brit who is probably most well known as a Comic Book author. He is also an author of novels, and a TV and movie producer. Most of you will know Gaiman from the movie Stardust. That movie was based off of a novel that he wrote of the same title. Though there was cruelty to magical beasts in that movie (both PETA and I were outraged), I decided that I wanted more Gaiman, so I used last month's Audible Credit and chose to listen to another of his novels, Neverwhere. Gaiman is also the narrator and does an excellent job with the various voices. I would defiantly recommend this listen to those of you out there who use Audible.

I loved Neverwhere because it is probably one of the most imaginative books I have ever read. The descriptions, metaphors, analogies, and the authors attention to detail amazed me and had me smiling throughout the entire book.

Neverwhere is about Richard Mayhew, a Scot living in London who one day finds an injured girl on the street. He decides to help her and as a result, Richard starts down a path that leads him to an alternate realm or reality called "London Below." The story follows Richard as he joins the injured girl (named Door) on her quest through London Below in her attempt to discover who killed her family and figure out why they are also trying to kill her. Their journey through London Below is full of mystery, danger, and treachery.

Throughout the book, Richard, Door and the rest of their caravan are pursued by Messrs. Croup and Vandemar who are the most diabolical, evil, and powerful of all cutthroats and assassins. They are excellent characters who add both humor and evil to the plot.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes well written fantasy full of imagination.

15 comments:

Allison said...

I feel bad that no one has commented on your book review, So here is your S.C. (sympathy comment.) It just goes to show no one really likes books anymore.

Allison said...

I take that back. No one really likes books that are not about Mormon vampires. Maybe you should review one of those, then you would get lots of comments, especially from me!

3703 said...

I disagree and petition to have the above commentor blocked from your blog aka sci-fi haven.

I loved Stardust and if I had a babylon candle I would go to London Below right now. Thanks for the suggestion.

3703 said...

maybe allison should make her comments 'private' along with her blog

Spencer Davis said...

Wow, "Sympathy" what a big word from the expansive vocabulary or allison. Did you learn that one from reading your captions in US Weekly?

Hey Allison, why don't you go and do another uncreative post about your stupid kids?

Mr. Rumble, a babylon candle would take you right to London Below, and you would love it.

Cicely said...

I'll think about it, but it seems more like a Steve Suite book to me. He loved Stardust the movie and David and I were weren't as impressed. I do, however, love Claire Danes.

You should join my book club blog and read Pride and Prejudice. Don't be lame. You know you want to. It was really meant to be a sci-fi adventure, but Jane's editor changed the title. It was originally "Schrafnok and His Female Reproductive Host."

p.s. you really better blog your thoughts about Twilight.

Spencer Davis said...

Sorry Cicely, never reading a book written by Jane Austen is # 48 on my Bucket List.

I will for sure be blogging about Twilight. I still have a couple hundred pages to go.

Ian said...

I started reading Stardust, but I am only about 30 pages in, so I can't tell if I like it or not yet.

You should not be so resistant to reading Jane Austen. You have her to thank for such great books as "A Walk to Remember." She created the genre of coming of age romances. Only instead of taking your romantic interest to a spot where she can stand two places at once, in Jane Austen's world, you take her to a huge estate where she can take leisurely strolls through manicured gardens and never have to work again.

tjcool18 said...

Wow Ian! I can't believe you would even try to compare Nicholas Sparks to Jane Austen.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

3703 said...

I always knew your likeable blog would attract the flower industry.

Allison said...

Ian-
Keep me informed on how you like Stardust. I'm sorry, but I just refuse to even consider reading Jane Austen. Its like trying to get the Suites to eat at Pizza Hut. Not a chance in H.E. double hockey sticks.

Kyle said...

Congratulations on the hug and being added to the blogroll of flores. What's your audible credit? Sounds like a netflix but with audio books. True?

Spencer Davis said...

Kyle-
audible.com is a site that allows you to download audio books and listen to them on your iPod. My mom and I share a membership. We pay $20 a month and each month we get 2 credits. One book is worth one credit. I really like it. I know that Jim and some of the other Blakesley kids also use it and like it. I really helps me pass the time on my 5 mile St. George communte.

Katie said...

I for one have been thoroughly entertained by all the posts on this blog.

Ian's reading of all of Jane Austen's novels came in very handy at the Primary party "write something no else would know about you" game.

I agree that Twilight should be next on your list.