Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Harvey Two-Face

Stardate 08-06-2008



Spoiler Alert!!! Don't read this post unless you don't mind having one of the exciting conclusions of The Dark Knight ruined for you. I've seen The Dark Knight twice already and I really loved it both times. Instead of doing another review of the movie, I wanted to blog about the secondary villain, Harvey Two-Face. Though I enjoyed Aaron Eckhart's portrayal of Harvey Dent, I wasn't that amazed with what he did with Two-Face. I've come to realize that I can't really blame Eckhart because it was pretty hard not to compare him with the other bad guy in the film, and just about any bad guy would seem weak compared to Heith Ledger's portrayal of The Joker. In fact, for me, the coolest thing about Two-Face was the way that The Joker pushes him over the edge from sanity to insanity, and how The Joker used Two-Face as his puppet in an attempt tear down the morale of the people of Gothem City. After thinking on it for a bit, I've decided that even though I wasn't blown away by Two-Face, I would like to see more of him in a future Batman movie. I think that given the chance to be the mastermind behind his own schemes, that Eckhart/Two-Face would be extremely entertaining. Which brings me to my big question. Do you think that Two-Face is dead?

I don't. I believe that they will bring Two-Face back in the next film. There is an ongoing theme in the comics between Batman and Two-Face. Batman never stops seeing the good in Two-Face. Every time Two-Face gets out of Arkham Asylum, he returns to a life of crime. Soon, Batman captures him and sends him back to Arkham, hoping that this time, Two-Face will return to how he once was. I believe that Batman and Gordon secretly sent Two-Face to Arkham to rehabilitate.

I did a little bit of searching about the subject of bringing Two-Face back and this is what I found. Producer Emma Thomas said that "Two-Face's fall at the hands of Batman was ambiguous enough to suggest that he may still be alive." Also, Eckhart has stated that given the chance, he "absolutely" would return to the role in a possible sequel. Of all the other stuff that I've read, the only real interesting thing that people have noticed is that after he falls, there is a shot of his coin which shows that the unmarked side us up, suggesting that chance says he lives.

So, is Two-Face dead or alive? What did you think of Eckhart's performance? Which bad guys would you like to see in the next Batman movie?

14 comments:

Allison said...

I think you are a butt hole for writing about batman and not telling the world how happy I have made you the last 5 years. Happy anniversary, LOVE you!

Jayme said...

I liked Harvey Dent, but I wasn't a big fan of two face, mainly because I thought his makeup was hoakey. The best thing about this Batman franchise has been how it has made comic book characters seem real. TwoFace looked corny.

3703 said...

Are you referring to Batman Returns or The Dark Knight? Because I agree that Tommy Lee Jones' character was very unbelievable. I found the burnt flesh of Eckhart to be real.

Two face is alive, I never even thought that he was dead.

I want to see Ruby Ryder or the Squid.

Anonymous said...

Two-face is alive without a doubt. However, I agree that just having two-face as a villain would be dumb. I predict that two-face will play a part in the next film and be a partial villain, but that there will also be a larger villain at play.

Spencer Davis said...

Sorry Allison, but this isn't the scifimarriageblog. Though our first five years together have been amazing, I have to keep my priorities straight.

Jayme, I was more annoyed with Two-Face's random screaming at people then how he looked.

Rumbler- I am refering to The Dark Knight. I'm glad you also think that Two-Face is alive.

Marcie said...

I hope Two Face is still alive! I would love to kiss his owies better. :oP

cblakes said...

I think the Riddler would be good. I think Nolan could write some cool riddles. Or the Penguin.

What about new good guys? I'd like to see someone from the Justice League, or a Justice League meeting, and maybe Robin, if he's created well.

3703 said...

Darth Spencer, I was asking Jayme as I thought Two-Face was not corny. Jayme is just anti-eric earheart.

Ian said...

I liked Eckhart as Harvey Dent, but I didn't especially like his Two-Face character. I guess I just thought it was a little much for him to go from being such a good guy to being Anton Chigurh just because Maggie Gyllenhaal died. I do hope he becomes a recurring side-villain, though.

3703 said...

Ian must not have lost something as precious a gem as Maggie Gyllenhaul, if you had, then you would have understood the turmoil of two-face as he has lost everything after working so hard.

Marcie said...

Hey, I hate to make this about me, but LOOK, I have a picture next to my comments now! am I a blogger, or what?

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

Darth -

You need to buy your wife flowers. ;)

And I am not going to see Batman strictly based on principle... I heard Eckhart isn't attending church these days and I saw his picture on "famousmormons.com" ... so I think I'll go see "The Errand of Angels" instead. It looked pretty cool. And Danny's been dying to see a Mormon genre film as catchy and surprising as The RM. I just hope Kirby makes a cameo... oscar what?

suite

PS. I think I'll wait until it comes out on Clean Flicks and hopefully will just be a bunch of shots of mizz Gylenhall... I friggin love that indie queen.

Anonymous said...

Darth Spencer, what is "sabrina" talking about? If this is a religious site, rename it to Mormon Sci Fi Nerds. If there is not a boundary to your dominion then I might suggest blocking certain commentators.

Your site is ok. I look forward to more posts. Once you have a higher volume I might consider linking you.

Spencer Davis said...

Gothem_6, Sabrina, a devoted reader and worshiper of Darth Spencer, Dark Lord of the Sith, was simply expressing her opinion of Aaron Eckhart and her excitement for The Errand of Angels. Can you blame her? The Errand of Angels is preistcraft at its best. Who wouldn't be excited for it? Even though she is a women, her comments will not be blocked.