Monday, July 27, 2009

Why I Hated the New Harry Potter Movie

Stardate 07-27-2008

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was probably my second favorite book from the series. I spent more time reading, listening and thinking about this book than any of the others, because after reading it, I was bursting with desire to understand how everything was going to turn out for Harry. Of course, Half Blood Prince teaches us about Voldemort's life and the Horcruxes. Its where Harry learns how to destroy a Horcrux. And of course, it sets up what Harry must do in order to defeat the Dark Lord. Not only that, but it furthered the Snape, good v evil debate.

I hated the Half Blood Prince movie because it cut out everything that was great about the book, and went into too much detail about the less important plot points. I was infuriated that they added two completely original scenes that were not in the book. This made me really mad because they waste our time with two extra pointless scenes, but take out about 80% of the Harry/Dumbledore/Voldemort flashbacks.

I was trying to think back at the important information that we learned from the flash backs in the book that were not in the movie and that technically, movie Harry would not know. Most important would be that Dumbledore never even taught him how to destroy a Horcrux. He would not know about the other possible Horcruxes such as the cup. He would not know that Voldemort used a valuable object from each of the 4 great houses for his horcruxes. I also didn't like that Dumbledore seemed completely caught off guard when they finally saw the true flashback memory from Professor Slughorn. He acted like he had never even considered this a possibility. Why would they dumb down Dumbledore?

And though not a crucial part of the story, I was most pissed off that there was no fighting after Dumbledore was killed. In the book, there is fighting between the Order of the Phoenix and the Death Eaters both before and after Dumbledore dies. The movie was just so boring and slow, and I kept telling myself, "Don't worry it will be worth it when we see the huge wizard duel at the end after Dumbledore dies." I about blew up when they killed Dumbledore, and then peacefully walked out. Such garbage.

Now I'm really worried about the The Deathly Hallows because the same moron who did the screen adaptation and who directed Half Blood Prince, are also the idiots behind Deathly Hallows.

And what I can't figure out is that everyone I talk to tells me that they like the movie. Its almost as if people are afraid to say anything negative about a Harry Potter movie. Please share your thoughts about the movie here.

6 comments:

mel or kel said...

I liked it, I feel that every single Harry Potter movie leaves out huge amounts of information that only those who have read the books know. This one was my favorite, very entertaining, better acting. I really liked Professor Slughorn. Sorry to not be a hater like you...

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

Spencer -

I think the Patriot Act specifically states it's illegal to say anything bad about HP. How unAmerican of you! What are you - a terrorist?

Harry Potter is as American as Mexican food (cafe rio), freedom fries and um, water boarding (none dare call it torture!)?

I don't know if I can read your blog anymore.


PS. I liked the movie, but I am always sad when I read the books and then watch the movies and see how much is left...

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

um, "left out"... of course.

Spencer Davis said...

I can understand that they have to leave some stuff out, but come on people!!! They left out huge, important issues here.

I feel as if they wanted to try and make this movie appeal to the lame Twilight fans who don't mind sacrificing plot for romance.

I hated this movie and Twilight. Perhaps I am un-American.

3703 said...

I liked it. I felt like I was 14 again. When is Harry's Barmitzfah?

You ask too much, why do you care about plot and screenplay carry-over?

Didn't you think Hermoine's dress was spectacular and the love tension between Harry and the Weasley girl . . . too hot to handle.

My only beef with the movie was that Slughorn was supposed to have a mustache. That is the real outrage.

Unknown said...

rasist kraker bithc http://www.savvage.com/