Thursday, January 04, 2007

2007: The Future Is Now

Stardate 01-04-07

Ever since I was a wee young Sith growing up on my home planet of Korriban, I have had many dreams. One of those dreams was to play a video game against someone on the other side of the world. My young Sith aprenti, the future is now. For Christmas I recieved a shiny, white, Nintendo DS, which is Nintendos latest and greatest gameboy. Here is the skinny on the DS. The DS has two screens, one of which is a touch screen that allows you to use a stylus, adding a whole new level of gameplay to the mix. The DS has pretty impressive graphics for handheld. They are basically the equivelent to a Nintendo 64, making for bright and beautiful colors and 3D world gameplay. Perhaps the greatest thing about the DS is its built in wireless capabilites. All you need is wireless interweb and the right game, and you can play for free on a worldwide DS gamers network.

My first time was amazing. I've been addicted to Tetris DS since I bought it. The only downside is that I dont have wireless at my house on Korriban. The second we got up to SLC and got the car unpacked, I sat down to take advantage of the wi-fi, and logged on to two player battle mode. As I sat in the queue and waited for my oponent, I was honestly shaking like a madman. I knew my Tetris skillllzzz were amazing, but I had no idea how I would compare to Boris in Russia, Liam in England, Mao Lee in China, or Stan in America. I drew some chick named Gloria. Our first game was a fierce battle, but I lost. Devistated, I realized that I was too nervous, and reached down deep to harnous the power of the force. It flowed freely through me and I felt true power as I wished for her blood. The next three games were a slaughter; RIP Gloria.

It is honestly so much fun. It keeps track of all of your wins and it gives you a point ranking based on your performance. The coolest thing is that if any of my readers decide to get a DS, we can play against eachother in Find a Friend mode.

I also got the New Super Mario Bros and Star Trek: Tactical Assault. I will purchase Mario Cart DS with my remaining Target Gift Card money. I have heard that it is a blast online. The game works well with a DS. As you recall, an important part of the game is shooting stuff at those in front and behind you. The second screen acts as a rear view mirror, making it all the easier.

13 comments:

cblakes said...

Wow, Allison must really love you to give you a nintendo ds. That sounds really cool!

Spencer Davis said...

She does love me, but she's already starting to treat me like I'm a monter when I'm on it for more then an hour. She claims its taking time away from her and our babyl The way I see it is that I'm just giving her and Owen more time to bond.

Anonymous said...

For the record I do love Darth Spencer, But I only got it for him because he wouldn't stop asking! But LISTEN UP LADIES, I only tell you this because I don't want you to make the same mistakes I made! If you ever want parental participation out of your husband, avoid this "DS" at all costs. Initially I thought this would actually be an okay idea. Anyone who knows us knows how much I like to talk, and when Darth Spencer (aka D.S ) is "reading" he won't let me do so. So I figured at least while playing the games I could tell him all my gossip. Boy was I wrong. Not only does my talking ruin his train of thought, It ruins his Tetris Record. All of this is bad, but the worst part about the DS is that it has made me something I swore I would never be. A nag. So thank you DS, because of you, I am officially a mom.

Katie said...

Spencer it does sound like you are a true "DS Master." That is pretty cool that you can play against people around the world.

Allison, you are a very unselfish wife. I have a feeling you and Owen have plenty of time to bond while Spencer is at work! :)

Spencer Davis said...

Very funny Allison.

LISTEN UP MEN...this is what happens when you leave your wife unsupervised. She gets on the computer without your permission and slanders you and your Tetris records. Speaking of records men, watch out for this. Your wife will pilfer your DS and claim that its "their turn," and then procede to ruin your online Tetris ranking. At least she is finally refering to me as Darth Spencer, like I've been commanding her to do for the last couple of months.

Ian said...

I am very jealous that you got a DS, but thanks a lot for ruining it for the rest of us. After reading Allison's post, there's no way Katie or any other wife is going to let us get one.

Ian said...

Katie wants me to clarify that I am blaming Spencer and his purported overuse of the DS for further ruining our chances of getting a similar gaming system. I was not blaming Allison for making the post that exposed Spencer's Tetris adiction.

3703 said...

I will learn from all of you and not get married so that I can have a Nintendo DS. Question: How come Allison and Owen don't just watch you play? Then everyone is happy.

Anonymous said...

I already make Allison watch me weight lift, play tennis, ski, break bricks with my hand, and ballroom dance. I want to be Aleksey Vayner.

"Impossible is Nothing"

tjcool18 said...

Darth Spencer, I believe that your next gift request should be noise cancelling headphones. You can slip those on and let Allison sit in the room with you and talk away.

P.S. I finally posted again. I am going to try to be a better blogger after your put-down.

Katie said...

For the record, I made up my mind about Nintendo, play station and anything of the kind long before I married into the family. Not to worry Allison, you have not ruined a thing!

Anonymous said...

That really shocks me Katie. I never thought that you would make such a serious decision on something without first consulting your husband. I always thought you guys were a team.

tjcool18 said...

Ian it's not too late to get out of this relationship. You're young and successful and will be able to afford the alimony and child support. I say choose gaming systems, because they will always love you back. Katie might even forget your name, but a gaming system has a memory card that will remember it forever.