Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thank the Gods of Kobol

Stardate 11-22-2007

Today, being Thanksgiving and all, has given me a chance to sit back and think about what I'm most grateful for.  Many things came to mind, but the one thing that I am most grateful for is the fact that robots have not yet become self-aware.

After watching T3: Rise of the Machines, it was TJ who most intuitively pointed out that robots and machines becoming self-aware is the most obvious reason that we will have to walk to Adam-ondi-Ahmen one day.

That day may not be so far off.  Sarcos, a Utah based company, received a military contract from the US Government to continue production of robot exoskeleton that when worn by a soldier will enhance the soldier's strength, agility, jumping distance and running speed.  The Military should start testing the exoskeleton as early as 2008.  Sounds like Cyberdine to me. Take a look at the T100 below.


Whether you are excited or terrified of the robot vs. human war, you should tune in this Saturday night for the Sci-Fi Channel movie, Battlestar Galactica: Razor.  This two hour movie flashes back in time.  We get a look at the first Human/Cylon war.  We get to see a young William Adama in action.  We also get to see more details of the second Human/Cylon war.  We will get to see how the Pegasus, the only other Battlestar that survived that second attack, survived.  This would be a good opportunity for those who have never watched Battlestar Galactica to tune in and watch what Mr. Rumble and I agree is one of the best shows on TV.  

Happy Thanksgiving.

5 comments:

3703 said...

Battlestar Galactica! This is a tv show where the future comes to us.

Self aware robots don't scare me, but your talk of robotic exoskeletons reminds me of a patented idea I have about blue tooth microchips plugged into the brain so that we can telecommutically speak one to another (like robots and betazoids).

Look for it.

Spencer Davis said...

I will keep both my eyes and my mind open for this amazing techmology.

Mike Blakesley said...

Darth Spencer,
If you haven't read "Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlein then you may want to tally it up on the to read list. It is about the Human Defense Forces, which consist of expertly-trained "footsoldiers" who wear sophisticated exoskeletons that pack a whammo. Armed with nukes, mile-long jumps, and more, it is exactly what the military hopes for.

Also, John Scalzi takes the Starship Troopers theme of exoskeletons and asks: What if an exoskeleton was some kind of "superfabric"? In that one, the human forces are superior because of genetic engineering rather than exoskeleton. Running a three minute mile is no problem when you have a new, green body and "Smartblood" running through your veins.

Katie said...

Darth Spencer, I once had a fascination with robots myself. Someone brought one to our first grade class. I then went home and tried to construct one out of toilet paper. I was very disappointed when it would move or work.

Spencer Davis said...

Mike-
I've never read the book, but I have seen the movie. Its in my personal Neil Patrick Harris Collection. I'll have to check out the book. The movie doesn't really emphasize the robot exoskeleton suits. The other book sounds pretty cool too.

Katie-
I never knew you were such a pioneer in the field of robotics.