Sunday, November 11, 2007

Wednesday Night Jericho

Stardate 11-11-2007

Ever since Allison and I watched and absolutely loved the Hallmark Hall of Fame TV movie The Magic of Ordinary Days, I have been craving more magic from Skeet Ulrich. I most definitely satisfied that craving as I have just finished watching the first season of Jericho. Jericho started its run in the fall 2006 line-up for CBS. I never gave it a chance because I was put off by the name. I knew that it was a post-apocalyptic drama and that combined with the name Jericho made me think that it was full of weird religious undertones. I was very wrong.


While reviewing the updates from Comic Con I came across an article about Jericho. I found out that Jericho was actually canceled by CBS after it finished its full season back in the spring of 2007. The article went on to say that a large group of fans banned together and created a campaign to save the show. The campaign worked and CBS officially announced in June of 2007 that they were going to give the green light for 7 more episodes. These episodes are set to start some time in January of 2008. Depending on the ratings, the show will get either more episodes to finish out the second season, it will get canceled, or they may give it a green light for a full 3rd season. I was impressed that so many people would fight for a shows survival, so I decided to check it out. I'm really glad that I did. The show is awesome. I would never put it in the same category as Lost, Freaks and Geeks, Heroes, or Battlestar Galactica, but I would for sure put it next to Prison Break or The OC.

Jericho is about a small town in Kansas and how it deals with the aftermath of an attack on the United States. In the show, 23 major US cities get nuked. The show works well because there is sufficient mystery to keep the viewer coming back from week to week. Some of the characters have shady and messed up pasts. Was one of them involved in the bombings? What has happened to the United States now that almost all of its major cities have been destroyed? And most importantly, who was behind the bombings? Was it foreign or internal? Is the United States being invaded? Who can you trust?

Some of these answers are revealed and some are not. Some are hinted upon and could be future story lines. For example. In one of the episodes, a few of the residents of Jericho go a trading post called Black Jack. While there they find out that six different surviving Senators have all claimed the Presidency and that the United States has essentially been divided into six separate nations.

Its not too late to save Jericho. It is a show that deserves to be saved. Rent the series and watch it. The first episode is great and then it gets slow for a few of the episodes. By the 6th or 7th you'll be hooked. The rest of the season is amazing and action packed. Watch season one so that you can tune in and watch Season 2.

5 comments:

Allison said...

although I am still not convinced that this post apocalyptic stuff is considered science fiction? I will have you know that I find this much more tolerable than many of your other subjects. At least it all could really happen, as oppose to unicorns, harry potter and all that junk!

3703 said...

I agree with your initial reaction, the word Jericho floods my mind with terrible memories of Jericho Road. But, Chris Jericho does bring the name back to be a reasonable term.

I will watch this TV series, and because of this blog my one vote might make a difference for Jericho.

It's great to be a Jerichoholic again.

Lindsay said...

I dont understand your blog very often so I never have comments to leave, but I wanted to leave a comment just to say hi. Sorry I know that is boring but just wanted to tell you that I am excited to see you guys this week. Have a good day. Love ya

Spencer Davis said...

Allison-
I've been thinking about your controversial point. Let me say this. Science fiction is fiction that is based on scientific theory. Science has created atomic weapons, killer viruses, biological weapons, etc. But at this point, it is only a theory of what would happen if these items were used to kill most of the inhabitants of the world. Another thing you need to realize is that there are many sciences. Sociology, psychology, anthropology for example. Rather then dealing with thermo nuclear dynamics like a science fiction novel involving space travel, a post apocolyptic novel or story would deal with sociology and how a civilization would start up again.

By the way, I can't believe you still don't believe in unicorns.

Rumbler-
It is great to be a Jericholic again. Thanks for helping to save a great TV show. You know, the strike my actually help this show. It will be one of the only prime time dramas that will air new episodes after the new year. Lets just hope the morons at CBS don't put it up against Lost or American Idol.

LD-
Thanks for saying hello. You could comment on how dreamy Skeet Ulrich is.

Allison said...

I love Lindsay's comment! Yay for Lindsay for, along with me, not understanding your nerd speak. Linds, we can't wait to see your new place and how much Izaiah has grown.