Thursday, February 28, 2008

Oscar Wao

Stardate 02-28-2008

A couple of months ago I noticed that the book, "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao," by Junot Diaz was on numerous "Best of '07" book lists. I checked it out and decided to use my Audible credit for January on this book. I was pretty happy that I did. The book is a blend of Dominican History, Dominican Culture, and Science Fiction. The story centers around Oscar and his family. He is a Dominican, born in New Jersey, who is obsessed, he says, "with the more speculative genres."

As I said above, the book is a blend of Dominican history, Dominican culture, and Science Fiction. It sort of seems like a funny combination but it really works. Here is a breakdown of the three:

1. Dominican History- the book goes into great and vivid detail about Trujillo and his dictatorship. It talks about his government, his high ranking officials, his murderous and sexual exploits and what a crazy psycho he was.

2. Dominican Culture- FUKU. Fuku is the name of a curse put upon anyone who dared defy Trujillo. It passes from generation to generation. Oscar's grandfather was the one who first brought the curse upon their family. Almost half of the book is dedicated to Oscar's mother and her life in the D.R., her exploits and connections to Trujillo. While this is interesting and entertaining, it is also my only complaint about the book. I wish that more of the story had been dedicated to Oscar.

3. Science Fiction. Oscar is posibly the best nerd that has ever existed in the world of literature. Growing up in the 80s, Oscar loves role playing games, anime, comic books, science fiction and fantasy presented through movies and through books. He writes and wants to one day be known as the J.R.R. Tolkien of the Dominican Republic. He is fat, has an afro, and can't score any ladies, though he desperately, desperately wants to. One of my favorite parts of the book is one that greatly demonstrates Oscar's love for women and his nerdiness at the same time. The narrator is speaking of Oscar's obsession with anything post-apocalyptic and shares a high school fantasy of Oscar's. The fantasy involves a post-apocalyptic scenario such as a super virus or a nuclear attack. Only Oscar and a beautiful girl from high school have survived. Oscar has survived because of his incredible knowledge of all things post-apocalyptic and is able to save and protect this beautiful young vixen. She of course falls in love with him. I laughed way hard at this part and thought that only a true nerd would contemplate a scenario like this in his dirty high school fantasies.

My favorite part of the book is all the sci-fi and fantasy references, analogies, and metaphors. The D.R. is often referred to as Mordor and Trujillo is ofter called, The All Seeing Eye or Sauron. I was amazed at how many references I didn't know, but became ecstatic when I did recognize one.

Here is my verdict-
Read this book if: you love sci-fi, are interested in the D.R., love memorable characters, enjoy slang in the Spanish language (there are numerous. My favorite- when someone calls someone else a "come guevo").
Don't read this book if: you are offended by the F-word, N-word, sex and violence. It is full of all of them.


4 comments:

Allison said...

Shouldn't we all be offended by the F-word, N-word, sex and violence in a book? I appreciate the warning, although lets not pretend that I would ever be interested in this book. I am glad that you were entertained, and that I didn't have to listen to any of it.

Ian said...

Jonot Diaz is an amazing talent. I read some of his short stories in my Latino literature class. I saw that this book got a lot of good reviews and it sounded awesome, but I figured that it was full of the content you warned about. Unfortunately, many of the most talented Latino writers fill their books with that kind of stuff (e.g., Oscar Hijuelos).

Anonymous said...

ur an idiet. a stupid stupid idiet. isacc azimof if the best scifi writor of all time :)

Anonymous said...

Allison and Zeana your too close minded get off of your high horse and read the F--ing book! life is too short to miss out on awareness that this book brings of Dominican culture, Ian come on it wasn't even that vile to tell you the truth compare to his other books this is actually a lot less vulgar terms more humorous, hit close to home for me as a Dominican mix Puerto Rican that lives in NYC. Junot Diaz is one of my favorite writers enjoy this book! :D