Thursday, May 08, 2008

Iron Man

Stardate 05-08-2008

Mr. Rumble and I went and saw Iron Man last Saturday night and we both really enjoyed it. The evening started off on the right foot when we were able to buy excellent assigned seats for the movie at the Gateway. This meant that we were able to go see a movie on opening weekend and enjoy the comfy feeling of not being rushed or worried about sitting on the front row. We showed up right as the Prince Caspian trailer was ending and went right to our empty seats. Amazing. Mr. Miller, you may hate gay people (Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist), but you sure do know how to run a movie theatre.

Things just got better from there. I was curious to see Downy Jr. as a superhero. I had some mixed feelings about him playing Tony Stark, but soon, all worries were put to rest. I instantly fell in love with the character. Downey does an excellent job. I can't wait to see him in Tropic Thunder this summer.

Mad props to Jon Favreau on his directorial skills. Iron Man was an excellent blend of story telling, special effects, acting, and some really cool shots. I must say that that this is probably the first movie I have ever seen where the special effects looked 100% real. They were amazing.

Another cool thing was that after the credits, there was a cameo by Samuel L. Jackson playing the part of Nick Fury (Mr. Rumble and I didn't see this, but it can now be seen on YouTube). He showed up to tell Tony Stark about The Avengers. The Avengers is an elite team of superheroes fighting for the good of the world. The team is made up mainly by Iron Man, The Hulk, Ant Man, Thor and Captain America. It is rumored that a similar cameo will be made by both Iron Man and Nick Fury in the upcoming Incredible Hulk movie, obviously to build momentum for a future Avengers franchise. Very cool.

5 comments:

cblakes said...

Who would have thought an Iron Man movie would be such a hit?! Thanks for the review - I'm excited to see this. My 2 bits:

I read that Marvel has created a movie studio after seeing the popularity of their titles. I think Iron Man is the first that is made under the Marvel studio. Smart move by them, I'd say.

I wish Jon Favreau would have directed the Fantastic Four.

I read a rumour that Mathew McCaunahey might be cast as Thor or Captain America. Say it ain't so.

Amber said...

I went to see this on Saturday as well. I saw it with 4 friends who happened to be guys. Two of whom turned 31 that week. I could have been sitting in between two twelve year olds for all of the excitement that was exhibited throughout the movie. They already knew about the surprise ending so we sat through the credits which were amazing.

I was informed that Marvel is making their own movies now and this was the first. The new Hulk movie will be next. Apparently the old one was lame and unacceptable. Marvel is explaining that this old hulk movie took place in an alternate universe.

Spencer Davis said...

Iron Man was the first release for Marvel without another studio backing it. Looks like it was a good move to start with Iron Man. I read an article in EW a few weeks ago about Iron Man and the new Incredible Hulk movie. I think they are again worried about the new Hulk movie. The article went on to explain that both Edward Norton and the Director are pretty upset that the studio made them cut the movie to below 2 hours and that the parts that they made them cut were parts that they believed were central to the emotional aspect of the story. Apperently, Marvel wanted the focus to be more on the action. Norton is still pissed and most likely wont be doing too much promotion on the movie. I am still very excited to see it, but I'd say its a good thing there are numerous alternative universes because Marvel may have to take a 3rd stab at a Hulk franchise in another 4 years.

Ian said...

Rob was in town this weekend to visit, and we went to Iron Man while Katie was throwing a baby shower. I'm pretty sure we came out on the good end of that stick. I didn't think Robert Downey Jr. could pull of a super hero, but I was pleasantly surprised. I thought he did an amazing job. It was a great movie. I thought it was very well-rounded with plenty of humor and human-interest to go with the cool technology, special effects, and action sequences.

Katie said...

It sounds like a really cool movie. That's fun that you and Judd got to go together. That's a great idea about the reserved seats.