Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Unethical Treatment of Magical Beasts & Creatures

Stardate 09-23-2007

I was finally able to see Stardust a week or so ago and I must admit that I enjoyed the movie very much. This isn't a review, but more of a comment on one aspect the movie. To see an excellent review of the movie, visit this link to send you to TJ's blog.

Though I loved the movie, I along with PeTA, was very upset at seeing the unethical treatment of the magical creatures that were featured in this movie. My heart sank to the deepest pits of the deepest abyss when I saw that Unicorn go up in flames. At least this Unicorn died, doing what Unicorns do, using magic to save others. I'm just happy that it wasn't sent to the Kentucky Fried Unicorn slaughter house. They probably would have ripped off its magical horn and made it suffer while it was still alive before sending it through the meat grinder.


This blatant disregard for the life of Unicorns makes it easy for me to understand why Unicorns are almost extinct.

What do you think of the unethical treatment of magical beasts?

Should PeTA get involved in protecting the rights of magical creatures?

Any suggestions on how to take a stand against such treatment?

6 comments:

mel or kel said...

Did you really find the article I was reading--now that I think of it I can't even remember the part in the movie that the unicorn dies. Remind me again??

Spencer Davis said...

How can you not remember such a traumatic scene. The part that the unicorn dies is when the witch has used her magic to create an inn and tavern. She tries to kill Tristan and the star and the Unicorn runs in to save them. The witch then kills the unicorn with green fire.

Mike Blakesley said...

Actually, all that they found of the unicorn was the tip of its horn. Though many believe that it died in the fire, it was actually an animagus that escaped and joined the ranks of you-know-who.

I think that magical creatures should be kept where they belong. In second-rate british novels and the carnival.

Katie said...

Ian knew someone on his mission who used the Bible to "prove" the existence of unicorns.

Ian said...

I do not believe in passing legislation against the mistreatment of magical creatures. If they truly are magical creatures, then they should not need the help of the law to protect them. What else is a unicorn's horn for if its not to spear would-be attackers?

whitney said...

Okay, so lets see some pictures of you letting Owen help with cookies. What you can't see is the mess of flour and sugar all over the floor. From the sounds of it Roman and Owen are too much alike, so I am guessing you will have a kitchen covered in flour too.